18 Jan Are Cannabis Edibles Legal in Los Angeles?
Cannabis edibles are available basically everywhere in Los Angeles but are they legal? Well, federally, cannabis is still classified as a hard drug. But California legalized recreational cannabis a while ago. The decriminalization of medical cannabis happened way before that.
Read on to learn the details about cannabis sale, possession, cultivation, and use in Los Angeles.
Cannabis Laws in Los Angeles: The Facts
Following are the key points of cannabis laws in Los Angeles:
• California has decriminalized cannabis. Hence, the same is the case in Los Angeles.
• Unauthorized sale of Cannabis of any amount is a felony and can result in 2-4 years in prison.
• Cultivation of any amount of cannabis is a felony. If apprehended, the group or individual that performs the cultivation may be ordered to served 1-3 years in prison.
• Possession of over 28.5 grams of cannabis is a misdemeanor. If apprehended, it may result in 6 months of prison time.
• A gift of 28.5 grams or more of cannabis edibles results in a $100 fine.
• Possession of 28.5 grams or more of cannabis is considered a misdemeanor which can result in a $100 fine.
In Los Angeles, CBD derived from the cannabis plant is regulated and taxed, but it can only be sold at dispensaries. However, under the federal law, CBD pulled from industrial hemp is illegal, untaxed, and unregulated.
How Does Hemp Differ from Cannabis Edibles or Vapes?
Hemp is a type of cannabis saliva L. plant and it contains less than 1% THC, the ingredient that gives you a ‘high’. That’s why it is generally not ingested for any psychoactive effects. Instead, it is used as a component or ingredient of certain products. In the past, hemp has been used a component in the construction of textiles, clothing, paint, paper, and rope. Nowadays it is found in plastics, cosmetics, food products e.g. animal feed, hemp milk, etc.
How Did Cannabis Became Legal in Los Angeles?
Cannabis is still considered a hard drug under the federal law, just like heroine and LSD. It hasn’t been legalized. However, in some states e.g. California (and hence Los Angeles), it has been legalized for both recreational and medicinal purposes. Medical cannabis became legal in the Golden State in 1996 when the Proposition 215 was passed. Recreational cannabis became legal in January 2018.
Where Can You Buy Cannabis Edibles Legally?
If you are resident of Los Angeles, you can simply visit your local neighborhood dispensary to buy cannabis edibles. Under the new law, anyone over 21 can buy 8 grams of cannabis edibles or an ounce of cannabis per day. Keep in mind that the law prohibits stores from selling cannabis late at night. So, don’t expect any late-night runs.
If you are not a Los Angeles native, then it is recommended that you make sure you only buy what you can consume before you return home. Since cannabis is federally illegal, you cannot carry it over state lines. Contact a Los Angeles lawyer who specializes in this niche for more details.